Friday, January 1, 2010

"If you're never someone's girlfriend, you can never be someone's EX girlfriend." - Sex and the City


If I was any more bored, I would set my hair on fire.

I bailed on a public New Year's celebration last night. After a long day at work (or rather, a long year), I couldn't make sense of wrapping up 2009 in a bar - the same place I spent about 1/3 of the year in anyway. I ended up celebrating like I never celebrated before: Completely alone, with the dog and fish. And the really scary part is, I had a fantastic time. My only regret is that I went to bed before midnight and missed Dick Clark fudging up the countdown.

I woke up today feeling like a million bucks, in a ghost town of a neighborhood. The smell of hangovers was in the air. As I walked the dog around the 'hood, I noticed several interesting park jobs. One person managed to park at a 45 degree angle; another must have lost their brake pedal because their front-end was halfway up the curb and on the grass. One schlep had mulch on the hood of their car (I'm still trying to make sense of that one). Generally speaking, I think most of my neighbors had a great time.

However, the biggest problem with being one of the few people home NYE night is being one of the few non-hungover people New Year's Day. There's no one to talk to because everyone is still sleeping it off or nursing themselves back to health.

Poor me. I really missed having a boyfriend today. No, no, not for any real reason...but if I had a boyfriend, I would have picked a fight about how stupid his father was, and at least spent the day in the throes of a good argument. It would've shaken things up.

But alas, no fighting for me. Not even a rude exchange with the 17 year old manning the only open gas station in town today. At one point I thought about parking in handicapped spots, but all the cops out there are still wrapping up their paperwork from their DUI stops last night, so I doubt they would even care.

Sometimes a girl just can't win.

No comments:

Post a Comment