Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Prefacing rudeness with a disclaiming sentence does not excuse the behavior.


I am going to throw someone out the window. No, really, I think I can do it right now. Adrenaline through annoyance. Good ol’ Richard Grabber has struck again, but this time he’s not grabbing. He’s listening.

Quick back-story: This guy loves listening in on my phone calls and then giving me commentary afterwards. It usually goes something like this:

Me: …great, okay, I’ll get that proposal out to you. Call me back with any questions. [click]

Grabber: I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I heard you talking about the new rating system. Did you find that helpful when you used it?

Me: Uh…yeah. It was fine.

And here’s how it went down when I bought the fish. Grabber asked me what the fish’s name was. I originally said, “Annoying Coworker,” to which he laughed and responded with, “Oh, that must be me!” and I said, “Only when you listen in on my phone calls (insert sweet smile here) .” He didn’t find that part so funny.

So, I feel as though I’ve put this guy on notice. Unless he’s an autistic, brain-dead zombie-man, he should be fully aware that I get annoyed when he makes it known that he tunes into my calls. I understand he can hear me. I’m not Helen Keller. I get it. He sits 10 feet away. But really, there’s no need to comment on what I’ve said. He’s not a part of the conversation, therefore, he should not have anything to say about it.

Apparently, I have not made myself clear enough. He did it again about 30 minutes ago. I wrapped up a call with a salesperson and Grabber said, “I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but…” so I cut him off, quickly picked up the phone again and said, “Well here’s your chance to listen in on a second one.” His awkward laugh ensued and I dialed my mom. I would’ve called a strip club and asked for their daily specials just to set up that situation. When I ended that call, he never finished his thought. Amazing, isn’t it?

It’s crazy that he thinks he can preface his comments with, “I didn’t mean to eavesdrop BUT…” and think that makes it completely acceptable. Does that even work anywhere else? “Oh, hey, I didn’t mean to shit in your bathtub, but I didn’t feel like walking all the way to the toilet.” Or how about, “I didn’t mean to kill your cat, but I just didn’t have time to feed him while you were on vacation.” No. No, it does not. Still not cool, no matter what follows the “I didn’t mean to…” phrase.

Hey, Grabber, this one’s for you: I didn’t mean for you to find this blog site where I publically humiliate you at least twice a week, but I couldn’t help but leave the web address on your computer screen.

Some people write in a journal. Other people binge eat. I post public blogs. Don’t piss me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment