Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative.


Today I turn 33 years old. Pretty uneventful, I know. I'm at that awkward age where I'm old enough to have some hefty baggage, but not quite old enough to stop giving a shit. Aside from my earth-shaking birth 33 years ago, let me share what else happened on this glorious day...

2010 - BP Oil spill eruption in the Gulf of Mexico
1999 - Columbine Shooting
2002 - My grandmother died. ** To this day, I'm convinced it was out of spite because I used to kick her ass in cards when I was a kid.
1889 - Adolf Hitler was born. You have to admit though, the man had ambition.

Not every year had a tragedy. In 2003, my birthday fell on the same day as Easter Sunday. That was a fun dinner. In the middle of carving the ham, my uncle said, "HEY! It's your birthday today!" At least he remembered...eventually. I guess some dude rising from the dead trumps me being born in the first place. Whatever, Jesus was always a show off. Look where that got him.

But in all seriousness, birthdays are overall a good time. I love seeing what people get me. This year, my boyfriend got me new running sneakers and a two year gym membership. I'll let that one sink in. Now, if he surprises me with a bottle of diet pills, I might have to kill him in his sleep. As luck would have it, though, HIS birthday happens to be tomorrow...and he's getting a sleeping bag and the cold shoulder from ME. On the flip side, my parents hooked me up with a mongo gift card for my all-time FAVORITE steak house. The need to feed strikes again. It was a nice balance to the "get fit" gifts. But it also reminded me of the time my mom picked up my birthday cake. It read, "Happy Birthday Jill!! " on it. It was really sweet, but my name isn't Jill. That's my sister...who is 3 years older and lives 2500 miles away. Clearly, I am the favorite child. Ahhh, a mother's love...it's palpable.

Speaking of my sister, she's coming to town with her kids tomorrow (keep an eye open for THAT blog). My only (anticipated) gripe is that I've been delegated to bunk with my 6 year old nephew, and my dog. The last time we had this sleeping arrangement, I was woken up at 1am, then 2:30am, then 4am, by my nephew and the dog. They were playing together, bouncing around the bed, having a GRAND old time. That's when I discovered how hard it is to yell in a whisper. You just can't get that to translate to a bouncy 3 year old. Or a terrier.

In any case, I'm going back to my "birthday celebrations." Basically, my intentions are to eat a big, greasy burger for dinner, drink way too much Bud Light, and watch Clint Eastwood movies. Seriously. Even I can't make this up, and I've bullshitted you people in several blogs thus far.

So, I'm taking this 33 year old ass and my 33 year old eggs and I'm going to get this party started. Thanks for all the birthday wishes, and for those of you who forgot - Thanks for nothing. (ooo, burn)

No comments:

Post a Comment